top of page


Study in UK

  • Have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor

  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
  • Can speak, read, write and understand English
  • Have consent from your parents if you’re 16 or 17 - you’ll need evidence of this when you apply

If you’re 16 or 17 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK, you may be eligible for a Child Student visa instead.

This visa has replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa.

How Long You Can Stay

How long you can stay depends on the length of your course and what study you’ve already completed in the UK.
If you’re 18 or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. If it’s below degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.

Read The Guidance To Find Out Exactly How Long You Can Stay.

Staying longer in the UK.

You may be able to:

  • Extend your Visa if you’re eligible, for example to continue your studies in the UK
  • Switch to a Student Visa from another visa if you’re already in the UK

  • Switch to a Graduate visa to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing your course.
bottom of page